TyBugs is a cloud-based task tracking software. Rather than running a local server and maintaining complete ownership over a small group of users, you access an internet data store which is shared between all users. You retain complete control over who can see tasks or projects that you create, but you gain the ability to share data with other TyBugs users at will, without them being treated as “external” or “second class” users. As such, a given user account can participate in multiple unrelated projects- the fact that you provide access to your data does not prohibit the user from maintaining their own data or being provided with data from other projects.
You don’t need to consider this distinction in most day-to-day use of TyBugs, however it becomes important when you wish to grant new users with access to your data. You have no initial visibility or access to other users, and they have no initial visibility or access to your data, so an invitation system is necessary to allow new users to join your project.
Before proceeding with this document, please ensure that you have a thorough understanding of the role of Users and User Groups.
Users can always add themselves to any User Group over which they have administrative access. For example, if you are a member of the “staff” User Group, and somebody creates a new “artists” User Group which has “staff” as its owner, you can simply open your User window using “Account > View Account Details” and edit your User Groups list to include the “artists” group.
This page specifically deals with the case where the user does not already have this level of access. In the following steps, two users are involved, “Admin” (the person who has control of the User Group) and “External” (the user who is being invited to join the User Group.)
- Admin> In TyBugs, open the User Group window (“File > New Window > User Group List” and double click the desired user group) for the group into which you wish to invite external users. Double check that the branches and access settings are appropriate, to avoid accidentally sharing too much information with the external users.
- Admin> Click the “Copy Group URL” button to copy an invitation link to your clipboard.
- Admin> Contact the External user(s) via email or some other external mechanism and share the invitation link with them, along with some basic instructions on your expectations and the use of the system.
- External> You will need to wait until you receive an invitation link from the Admin.
- External> In TyBugs, open your User window (“Account > View Account Details”) and click the “Request Invite…” button.
- External> Paste the invitation link and press “OK”.
- Admin> The external user will now show up in the User Group as having requested an invitation.
- Admin> You should right click on each user requesting an invite, and either:
- Invite them, causing them to become a member of the User Group.
- Remove them if you no longer wish them to join the User Group.
- Ban them if they appear to be abusing the Invitation system or are otherwise no longer welcome.